- Michael Burry has ridiculed Tesla’s valuation, and suggested Elon Musk knows the stock is overpriced.
- “The Big Short” investor’s fiery comments led Musk to call him a “broken clock” this week.
- Here are Burry’s best tweets about Musk, Tesla, and the electric-vehicle boom.
Michael Burry has publicly bet against Tesla, warned the automaker’s stock is a bubble about to burst, and accused CEO Elon Musk of selling his company’s shares not to pay taxes or appease regulators, but because Musk knows they’re overvalued.
The investor of “The Big Short” fame clearly irritated Musk, as the Tesla chief dismissed him as a “broken clock” this week. Burry promptly deleted his remaining tweets, and took down his Twitter account.
Here are Burry’s 12 best tweets about Tesla, Musk, and the electric-vehicle boom:
1. “What do $TSLA, $BTC, option gamma traders have in common? Rhymes with Rubble.” — November, 2020
2. “So, @elonmusk, yes, I’m short $TSLA, but some free advice for a good guy … Seriously, issue 25-50% of your shares at the current ridiculous price. That’s not dilution. You’d be cementing permanence and untold optionality. If there are buyers, sell that #TeslaSouffle.” — December, 2020
3. “Well, my last Big Short got bigger and Bigger and BIGGER too … $TSLA $60 billion increase in market cap today alone … 1 GM, 2 Hersheys, 3 Etsys, 4 Dominos, 10 Vornados … enjoy it while it lasts.” — January, 2021
4. “$TSLA below $100/share by later this year will not crash the system. There is no reflexivity in such a fall. But it would trigger the end of an era for a certain type of investing.” — February, 2021
5. “$TSLA and $BTC correlation coefficient is 0.951967 over the last six months. @elonmusk going for perfect unity? Nah, Elon dreams the impossible. He is determined to break unity. Correlation > 1. And he has history on his side. $TSLA and $BTC investors can make anything happen.” — February, 2021
6. “Chinese regulators summon Tesla on quality issues as consumers complain about quality … but $TSLA bought $BTC. In my mind’s eye, so much #digitalconfetti.” — February, 2021
7. “In the SF Bay Area, $TSLA vehicles are everywhere. May need two hands to count them at a stop light. Everyone I know owns 1+, though some have gone back to ICE. I’ve talked with industry players, down to the mechanics. Remarkably similar to 1999 and 2006.” — February 2021
8. “Fads today (#BTC, #EV, SAAS #memestocks) are like housing in 2007 and fiber/.com/comm/routers in 1999. On the whole, not wrong, just driven by speculative fervor to insane heights from which the fall will be dramatic and painful.” — March, 2021
9. “Regarding what @elonmusk NEEDS to sell because of the proposed unrealized gains tax, or to #solveworldhunger, or … well, there is the matter of the tax-free cash he took out in the form of personal loans backed by 88.3 million of his shares at June 30th.” — November, 2021
10. “Can $TSLA fall 80, 90%? After 2000, many high flyers did. $AMZN fell 95% 2 decades ago, changed its whole biz, and thrived much later. May 1, 2020 – $TSLA at $163/share is ‘too high’ and he was not kidding, said @elonmusk.” — November, 2021
11. “No, @elonmusk, the true test is achieving that without massive government and electricity subsidies on the backs of taxpayers who don’t own your cars.” — November, 2021
12. “Let’s face it. @elonmusk borrowed against 88.3 million shares, sold all his mansions, moved to Texas, and is asking @BernieSanders whether he should sell more stock. He doesn’t need cash. He just wants to sell $TSLA.” — November, 2021