We are just over six weeks away from The Witch Queen coming to Destiny 2, and with it, new weapons and armor pieces to hunt. But as I stare at my nearly full vault, that I could swear I just cleaned out a couple weeks ago, I am dreading the arrival of new stuff to jam inside it, and what it might cost me in deletions if Bungie truly is once again, not going to increase vault space, which they have not indicated is coming in The Witch Queen.
Vault space has been a constant issue in Destiny 2, and the last time we got a flat increase to storage was back in August 2018, when 200 more slots were added, taking us from 300 to 500. We are approaching four years where storage space has not increased, but we have gotten hundreds of new items to store. Now, another full expansion’s worth.
Some things have happened to make the situation better:
- Collections means that we no longer have to store things like our favorite ghosts, sparrows or ships in the vault.
- Shaders being permanent unlocks means we don’t have to store those.
- Transmog means we don’t have to keep legendary armor for fashion’s sake alone.
- The brief window of sunsetting caused a cleansing of many old favorites (albeit most people hated doing this, and some refuse to delete some of their classics).
However, even with all that, the situation is at a breaking point, forcing players to throw away loot in this loot-based game they would otherwise keep.
- Seasons, at minimum, have added six new seasonal guns, and usually more like 12-15, when you add in things like rituals, playlist weapons, new IB or Trials weapons. Keeping even a single copy of each weapon is a good chunk of vault space, to say nothing of multiple rolls.
- Expansions add even more. All of that, plus destination weapons, raid weapons. More exotic weapons.
- We get maybe three new pieces of exotic armor every season, usually, and both legendary and exotic armor can have different stat distributions, and now four different elemental types for different builds.
- Destiny has been constantly buffing underpowered guns and perks, making you want to save even more potentially good rolls. Like this season, where Adrenaline Junkie is suddenly great. Or earlier this year, where Linear Fusions were buffed enough to be meta after years of uselessness.
Now, we are heading into The Witch Queen which will bring us Throne World destination weapons, raid weapons, seasonal weapons, and probably a scattering of new playlist/activity weapons and new exotics.
The only thing Bungie has said about vault space is that the new crafting mechanic should be able to help with that without explicitly just giving us more slots. We don’t actually know what that means. My best interpretation is that maybe you can grind out multiple perk options on the same gun, so rather than getting five copies of something, you have one copy that can switch between five perk set-ups. But even then, even keeping just one copy of a gun going forward, the current vault space situation is untenable.
We’ve heard before that vault space is one of the hardest issues to solve, given how much is required on the technical side of things to make that happen. It’s not nearly as easy as it sounds. And yet, we are approaching four years since the last vault space expansion and for most players, it’s been stuffed to the brim for several years, and they’ve had to scrap either useful or sentimental things in order to get and keep any new gear. Something’s gotta give, and it’s time for a baseline slot expansion, unless crafting is going to do something truly wild I cannot predict.